The purpose of this video is to engage teachers in a reflective process which will help to guide
their thinking of their own classrooms. By discussing some of the ideas addressed in the video,
teachers can engage in their own learning journey. The following questions can serve to guide
teachers as they watch Kindergarten Makeover: EFTO Edition.
1. What are my beliefs about how young children learn?
2. How do my core beliefs influence my decisions about classroom setup and
programming? How can I rethink the decisions I have made in my classroom to better
reflect my beliefs?
3. Who could help me with my classroom makeover? Who could provide guidance or
expertise? Who could actually help with the move?
4. How is my own classroom set up? Is it inviting to children? Do the materials spark
inquiry and deeper thinking on the part of the children?
5. Do I have material that is not being used presently by the children that could be:
• Used in a different way
• Given to others for their classroom
• Thrown out
6. What new material do I need to add to the centres in order to meet my learning goals
and to enhance learning at the centres?
7. What is my role, as the teacher in an activity based classroom? How can I enhance and
extend children’s learning while they are engaged in activities at the centres?
8. Where do I stand on a continuum of learning? Is my classroom more teacher centered
or more child centred? How can I move to a space on the continuum that more closely
matches my understanding of how young children learn best?
9. How is my classroom organized for independence? Can the children access al material
easily? Can they return material to the designated spot? What are the impediments to
10. Do the routines established in my classroom match my beliefs about appropriate
practice for young children? What changes would help align my understandings and the
reality of my classroom?
11. Is my timetable reflective of my beliefs and my knowledge of how young children learn?
What modifications are necessary? Has an appropriate time been blocked for children’s
authentic and independent application of their learning?